[Gluster-users] glusterfs on 32 bit - experiences?

Tejas N. Bhise tejas at gluster.com
Wed Aug 11 19:02:11 UTC 2010

Hi Tomasz,

32 bit will work properly from 3.1.x. With upto 3.0.x versions there were problem with inode number sizes and fitting it properly into 32 bit structures. We changed our internal data structure that was passed around to fix the problem.

This was a core data structure so its not possible to port this change back to 3.0.x.

For those who have not seen a problem, unless there are a very huge amount of files, you would not need more than 32 bit inode numbers, however some backend filesystem may generate random large 64 bit numbers for each next inode created. That can cause a problem.

We have not seen much problem with ext3 based systems that don't have very huge number of files.

These above are the reason for the disclaimer.

3.1 has this fixed.

We are also introducing XDR/RPC in 3.1 so backward compatibility can be achieved, which we were not able to do previously - we have a rapidly developing/changing code, so the protocol would keep changing, but with XDR/RPC, this can be easily managed going forward.

Regards,
Tejas.