[Gluster-users] novice kind of question.. replication(raid)

RW gluster at tauceti.net
Fri Apr 16 12:42:30 UTC 2010

This is basically the config I'm using for replicate
a directory between two hosts (RAID 1 if you like ;-) )
You need server and client even both are on the same
host:

##########################
# glusterfsd.vol (server):
##########################
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /some_folder
end-volume

volume locks
  type features/locks
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  option transport.socket.bind-address .......
  option transport.socket.listen-port 6996
  option auth.addr.locks.allow *
  subvolumes locks
end-volume

#########################
# glusterfs.vol (client):
#########################
volume remote1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host <ip_or_name_of_box_a>
  option remote-port 6996
  option remote-subvolume locks
end-volume

volume remote2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host <ip_or_name_of_box_b>
  option remote-port 6996
  option remote-subvolume locks
end-volume

volume replicate
  type cluster/replicate
  # optionally but useful if most is reading
  # !!!different values for box a and box b!!!
  # option read-subvolume remote1
  # option read-subvolume remote2
  subvolumes remote1 remote2
end-volume

# /etc/fstab
/etc/glusterfs/glusterfs.vol /some_folder  glusterfs  noatime  0  0

"noatime" is optional of course. Depends on your needs.

- Robert