[Gluster-users] is glusterfs DHT really distributed?

Vijay Bellur vijay at gluster.com
Tue Sep 29 09:56:47 UTC 2009

Mark Mielke wrote:
> I'm a little surprised TCP_NODELAY isn't set by default? I set it on
> all servers I write as a matter of principle.
>
> Serious servers intended to perform well should be able to easily beat
> the Nagle algorithm. writev(), sendmsg(), or even write(buffer) where
> the buffer is built first, should all beat the Nagle algorithm in
> terms of increased throughput and reduced latency. On Linux, there is
> also TCP_CORK. Unless GlusterFS does small writes, I suggest
> TCP_NODELAY be set by default in future releases.
>
> Just an opinion. :-)

Thanks for this feedback, Mark. Pre-2.0.3, there was no option to turn
off Nagle's algorithm. We introduced this in 2.0.3 and are debating
whether this needs to be made the default, since it involves altering a
default behavior :-). We will certainly consider making this the default
behavior in our upcoming releases.

Thanks,
Vijay