[Gluster-users] is glusterfs DHT really distributed?

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Tue Sep 29 08:00:56 UTC 2009

On 09/29/2009 03:39 AM, David Saez Padros wrote:
>> The
>> second is 'option transport.socket.nodelay on' in each of your
>> protocol/client _and_ protocol/server volumes.
>
> where is this option documented ?

I'm a little surprised TCP_NODELAY isn't set by default? I set it on all
servers I write as a matter of principle.

The Nagle algorithm is for very simple servers to have acceptable
performance. The type of servers that benefit, are the type of servers
that do writes of individual bytes (no buffering).

Serious servers intended to perform well should be able to easily beat
the Nagle algorithm. writev(), sendmsg(), or even write(buffer) where
the buffer is built first, should all beat the Nagle algorithm in terms
of increased throughput and reduced latency. On Linux, there is also
TCP_CORK. Unless GlusterFS does small writes, I suggest TCP_NODELAY be
set by default in future releases.

Just an opinion. :-)

Cheers,
mark