[Gluster-users] very low file creation rate with glusterfs -- result updates

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Mon Sep 14 06:40:02 UTC 2009

Wei Dong wrote:
> By using booster, I actually avoid being root on the client side.
> It would be perfect if the servers can also be run by regular
> users, even if that means that some features have to be deleted.
> Can someone explain a little bit why the server side must be run by
>  root?

There are plenty of reasons why the FUSE approach needs to be run
as root but I am sure others more familiar with FUSE can do a far
better job of explaining exactly why.

With regards to booster, we do not need root since all
file system operations are basically being translated by
libglusterfsclient into network IO operations so the kernel's
file system API is almost completely bypassed.

Know that libglusterfsclient is the library used internally
by booster.

> I know that I should not ask for too much when the robustness of
> the current codebase is the most import issue at the time.  I just
> want to hear a story about that and maybe hack the code myself.

Please, dont hesitate to ask any question about Gluster. We'll try to
answer as well given the time and other constraints.

Thanks
-Shehjar