[Gluster-users] booster

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Mon Sep 14 06:10:03 UTC 2009

Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> we would like to try a simple booster configuration. Reading the
> docs we found this:
>
> (http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Booster_Configuration_Reference_Page)
>

> "Still, applications that need to use the old approach, can do so
> by simply mounting GlusterFS and pointing the application to
> perform its file system operations over that mount point. In order
> to utilize the mount-point bypass approach, booster will have to be
> LD_PRELOAD'ed using the instructions below but without requiring
> the booster configuration file or setting the environment
> variables. "
>
> Does that mean if we provide a classical gluster mount over e.g.
> /mnt/glusterfs we do not have to specify any
> GLUSTERFS_BOOSTER_FSTAB in env at all to redirect fs action on
> /mnt/glusterfs ? Of course we tried but were unsuccessful besides
> some core dumps (no matter if booster config file provided or not).

Yes. That is expected to work. Please try defining the following
env variable. It will give us some debugging output to work with.

export GLUSTERFS_BOOSTER_LOG=<file-pathname>

If this does not help, lets test again with 2.0.7. The rc1
should be out later today. In the past few days we've fixed a few
causes of crash in booster.

> We only tried to run some bash scripts with preloaded booster...

Do you mean the scripts contained commands with LD_PRELOADed
booster? Or were you trying to run bash with LD_PRELOADed booster?

The second scenario will not work at this point.

Thanks
-Shehjar