[Gluster-users] The continuing story ...

Jeff Evans jeffe at tricab.com
Fri Sep 11 02:08:36 UTC 2009

> Today we have experienced again the same problem but in this case
> the computer which was under heavy load and locked was the
> gluster client (not the server). Unfortunatelly there was
> absolutely nothing in the kernel log, which makes me thing that
> this is produced by
> locks on some part of the disk system that freezes any
> application trying to read or write to the disks.

Just a small note: that's the kind of lock-ups I was seeing too,
client induced, disks completely inaccessible, no error/dmesg log.

I have now updated to RHEL 5.4 and I am lock free so far after heavy
testing and lots of software building that was previously hanging my
systems.

I have also enabled magic-sysrq so I can get at least some info should
the hangs re-occur. I would recommend everyone else with logless hangs
to do the same if possible.

Kudos to all those involved in this bug-hunt fest, it can only serve
to make glusterfs stronger!

Jeff.