[Gluster-users] The continuing story ...

David Saez Padros david at ols.es
Thu Sep 10 14:54:43 UTC 2009

Hi

>> the lockups are on server side not in client side and fuse is
>> not used on the server side
>
> Which actually reinforces the point that glusterfs has very little to
> do with this kernel lockup. It is not even performing the special fuse
> protocol communication with the kernel in question. Just plain vanilla
> POSIX system calls on disk filesystem and send/recv on TCP/IP sockets.

this does not reinforce anything special, gluster may be eating
resources and not releasing them or calling system functions with
bad arguments and the system may run out of them or enter some race
condition and produce the lock. Just note that a user has pointed in
another message part of code not testing for null pointers, so the
code could be plenty of similar things that can produce undesirable
and/or unknown side effects.

Today we have experienced again the same problem but in this case
the computer which was under heavy load and locked was the gluster
client (not the server). Unfortunatelly there was absolutely nothing
in the kernel log, which makes me thing that this is produced by
locks on some part of the disk system that freezes any application
trying to read or write to the disks.

--
Best regards ...

    On-Line Services 2000 S.L.       telf    +34 902 50 29 75