[Gluster-users] self-heal and file deletion problem

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Sat Sep 5 13:24:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:30:49 -0600
mike foster <mfosterm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I attempted to simulate a node failure with complete loss of data the the
> exported filesystem and have notiiced that after bringing the node back
> online, the files that it used to contain do not get re-created on the node
> and in fact they get deleted from the /gluster filesystem.
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> 2 pairs of 2 nodes with cluster/replicate
> the 2 pairs then are distributed.
>
> I created zero-byte files on the glusterfs and noted how they were
> distributed between pairs and replicated between nodes. I then shutdown
> glusterfsd and the glusterfs mount point on node 3. Then I blew away the
> data on the underlying filesystem and rebooted. When the machine came back
> up the data (which is still contained on node 4, its replication partner)
> was deleted from the glusterfs and was not self-healed.
>
> Am I missing something here?

This sounds like node 3 is a primary node of a replicate set. If you shoot
down your nodes  1 and 3 you will notice this problem. If you shoot down node
2 and 4 you will see the files being healed.
BUT you should nevertheless be able to heal the data by only stat'ing the
missing files on the clients - even if you cannot see them first, they should
reappear after stat.

Stephan