[Gluster-users] self-heal and file deletion problem

mike foster mfosterm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 21:30:49 UTC 2009

I attempted to simulate a node failure with complete loss of data the the
exported filesystem and have notiiced that after bringing the node back
online, the files that it used to contain do not get re-created on the node
and in fact they get deleted from the /gluster filesystem.

Here's the situation:

2 pairs of 2 nodes with cluster/replicate
the 2 pairs then are distributed.

I created zero-byte files on the glusterfs and noted how they were
distributed between pairs and replicated between nodes. I then shutdown
glusterfsd and the glusterfs mount point on node 3. Then I blew away the
data on the underlying filesystem and rebooted. When the machine came back
up the data (which is still contained on node 4, its replication partner)
was deleted from the glusterfs and was not self-healed.

Am I missing something here?