[Gluster-users] Replication trouble

Alan Ivey ai4891 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 01:50:03 UTC 2009

Hi
there. I'm new to GlusterFS and really impressed with the feature set.
I'm looking to have four servers that also run the client, with each
client having replication for all clients. That way, I'll have four
servers with the same files, regardless of which server they're written
on. This way I hope to get local filesystem performance while ensuring
all servers have the same files when new ones are added (via Apache, I
haven't started with booster yet).

I'm having some difficulty
getting new files from the client to write to all servers. On a test in
two virtual machines, if I wrote a file on client 1, it would also
write to the server 1 directory. But if I viewed the server 2
directory, it wouldn't be there. I'm not sure how exactly the writing of files from the client works, so here are my server and client files (which I found on the wiki as examples for replication):

glusterfsd.vol:
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /mnt/gfs/vhosts
end-volume

volume locks
  type features/locks
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume brick
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 8
  subvolumes locks
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  subvolumes brick
  option auth.addr.brick.allow 10.*.*.*
end-volume

glusterfs.vol (mounted by running # glusterfs /var/www/vhosts ):
volume remote1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 10.1.1.11
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume remote2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 10.1.1.12
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume replicate
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes remote1 remote2
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option window-size 1MB
  subvolumes replicate
end-volume

volume cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 512MB
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

There is no firewall on this network. Why isn't the second server receiving the new files sent through the client? Thanks!