[Gluster-users] Improving afr performance

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Fri Nov 20 21:52:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Pablo Godel <pablo.godel at gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the downsides of using performance improving translators ?

While there may not be any significant performance decreases, its just that
you will be adding an extra software layer in the path of processing a call.
For example,
* If applications are not issuing any re-reads and  io-cache is loaded,
there will be memory consumed by io-cache to cache  data which is not
required at all.
* If the applications are not reading the files at all and quick-read is
loaded, memory used by quick-read to store the files is an overhead.
* If the application is just doing random reads and read-ahead is loaded,
you are bound to incur memory overhead in storing the extra data which is
read in hope of application issuing sequential reads.
* If stat-prefetch is loaded and the application is not interested in doing
stat on the files after reading a directory, memory consumed to cache
directory entries is an extra overhead.

Glusterfs has performance translators which are designed for various
functionalities and based on your application needs, you should configure
appropriate translators.

regards,
--
Raghavendra G