[Gluster-users] About FileSystem

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Fri May 22 15:38:09 UTC 2009

Vahriç Muhtaryan wrote:
> Hello To All,
>

> I’m interesting with glusterfs. Something I do not understand. Docs
> said that glusterfs do not need to fsck but I’m not sure.
>
> if I understood correctly,  I’m sharing related servers related
> directories for example
>

> Server 1 : /home/disk_space_1 à which is limited with server disk
> space where disk_space_1 folder reside and this folder is on node
> file system which is xfs, ext3, or another
>
> Server 2: /home/disk_space_1 à which is limited with server disk
> space where disk_space_1 folder reside and this folder is on node
> file system which is xfs, ext3, or another
>

> This means always file check will be happen because bit of glusterfs
> system on Server 1 and , alwyas fsck could be possible ?

That is correct but that is a function(..or limitation..) of the local,
on-disk file system and not GlusterFS. In fact, if you use the replicate
translator you can have multiple copies of your data on different
machines so it is possible for you to stop relying on an fsck for data
availability.

> Second I understood that glusterfs on servers file systems and
> because of this capacity is Server1 + Server 2 + Server n , am I
> right ?

That depends on how you configure it. What you say above, is valid
in case you use distribute or stripe translator but is not valid
if you use the replicate translator.

> İs there any way to support iscsi ?

Not through GlusterFS.

> Looks like NFS is supported but NFSv3 and CIFS will be supported next
>  release does it means without samba glusterfs will support CIFS
> easyly ?

Yes. When CIFS support comes in, it will be usable without requiring
Samba.

Regards
Shehjar