[Gluster-users] gfs vs nfs: abysmal performance difference

Paolo Pisati paolo.pisati at tomato.it
Mon May 11 13:40:42 UTC 2009

Dear,

we are evaluating Glusterfs as an alternative to NFS. I connected two
boxes (a dell 2950 and a via epia)
with a crossover cable: the via epia is the gfs server, the 2950 is the
client, and both run freebsd 7.2.

i exported /usr/src via gfs and nfs, and then i ran a buildkernel session:

gfs:
 >>> Kernel build for GENERIC started on Mon May 11 10:14:31 CEST 2009
Kernel build directory is /usr/obj/mnt/gfs/sys/GENERIC
 >>> Kernel build for GENERIC completed on Mon May 11 11:07:18 CEST 2009

~53mins

nfs:
 >>> Kernel build for GENERIC started on Mon May 11 11:07:51 CEST 2009
Kernel build directory is /usr/obj/mnt/nfs/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 >>> Kernel build for GENERIC completed on Mon May 11 11:23:13 CEST 2009

~16mins

are these numbers expected? anything i can do to tune gfs?

--

Paolo Pisati
Reparto Sistemi