[Gluster-users] Storage Cluster Question

Francisco Cabrita francisco.cabrita at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 10:18:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Mickey Mazarick <mic at digitaltadpole.com>wrote:

> Have you seen a distributed parallel fault tolerant file system that
> doesn't take a serious hit doing mmaps or direct io?
> This is a serious question, I've installed luster to contrast recently and
> it didn't measure up but I'm wondering what other DPFT filers anyone has
> tried and for what applications?
> The wiki list is here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems#Distributed_parallel_fault_tolerant_file_systems

This is a very interesting topic. I would also appreciate ML feedback on
this.

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems#Distributed_parallel_fault_tolerant_file_systems>
>
> Can anyone give a positive or negative on any of these? Perhaps we can use
> some of the positives of others to drive gluster development.

Well,  it's not listed there and in fact I don't know if I could add this to
that DPFT list, but on FreeBSD we have a interesting framework to handle
Devices, GEOM: Modular Disk Transformation Framework [
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/geom.html ] above this I can
add "geoms". In this Distributed scenario I can plan to have a base GEOM
with a bunch of distributed disks agregated via GEOM GGATE and above that
some RAID0 or so.
I have a very positive impressions about this. Friends are using this in
production.

Francisco

blog: http://sufixo.com/raw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/franciscocabrita