[Gluster-users] Low Performance Problems

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Thu Jun 18 16:40:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:29:35 +0200
Martin Reissner <mreissner at wavecon.de> wrote:

> Hello Stephan,
>
> did a quick test with the same fileset only replaced distribute by
> replicate on the two servers. This was with the GlusterFS patched Fuse
> though. Filesystem cache was flushed on all boxes between the tests.
>
> write: 127s
> read: 106s
>
> Compared with the distribute results replicate seems to perform worse.
> Here's the distribute results on the exact same setup again:
>
> write: 90s
> read:  60s
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

this is very interesting. Obviously fuse needs work. I really expected
that ;-) Comparing your old values with the patched fuse version shows this
clearly.
The above numbers are interesting, too. In the write case you can see
that 127s-90s=37s seems to be the time the network stuff needs to send the
double data size of replicate vs. distribute.
So one can deduct that 90s-37s=53s are burnt down by fuse+glusterfs client.
That makes 58% of the total time which sounds a lot.
Unbelievable is the difference in reading, though. Replicate should take
nearly double the time distribute takes for reading, that sounds voodoo.

Regards,
Stephan