[Gluster-users] Gluster 2.0.2 locking up issues

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Thu Jun 18 10:26:13 UTC 2009

Daniel Jordan Bambach wrote:
> I'm experiencing various locking up issues ranging from Gluster locking
> up ( 'ls'ing the mount hangs ), to the whole machine locking up under load.
>
> My current config is below (two servers, afring)
>
> I would love to be able to get to the bottom of this, because it seems
> very strange that we should see erratic behaviour on such a simple setup.
>
> There is approx 12Gb of files, and to stress test (and heal) i run ls
> -alR on the mount. This will run for a while and eventually lock up
> Gluster, and occasionally the machine. I have found that in some cases
> killing Gluster and re-mounting does not solve the problem (in that
> perhaps both servers have entered a locked state in some way).
>
> Im finding it very hard to collect and debug information of any use, as
> there is no crashlog, no errors in the volume log.
> Can anyone suggest what I migth be able to do to extract more
> information as to what is occuring at lock-up time?
>

> volume posix
>  type storage/posix
>  option directory /home/export
> end-volume
>
> volume locks
>   type features/locks
>   subvolumes posix
> end-volume
>
> volume brick
>  type performance/io-threads
>  subvolumes locks
>  option autoscaling on
>  option min-threads 8
>  option max-threads 32
> end-volume

I see that the max-threads will never exceed 32 which is
a reasonable valueand should work fine in most cases but considering
some of the other reports we've been getting, could you please try again
but without the autoscaling turned on?

It is off by default, so you can simply set the number of threads
you need by:

option thread-count <COUNT>

...instead of the three "option" lines above.

Thanks
Shehjar