[Gluster-users] Problem with fs hang

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Thu Jun 11 14:52:16 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am evaluating glusterfs currently and therefore use a testbed consisting of
four (real) boxes, two configured as fileservers, two as clients, see configs
below.
All I have to do to make the fs hang on both clients (sooner or later) is to
run bonnie (a simple fs check program) constantly on the mounted tree.
I am using glusterfs 2.0.2 from the qa-release tree on a stock 2.6.29.4 kernel
with opensuse 11.1 as base.
The hang shows up within 12 hours runtime. If you kill the hanging glusterfs
client process and re-mount everything works again - no restart of the box
necessary.
Any ideas?

test script:

#! /bin/bash

(
cd /test   # glusterfs mount point
while true; do
        bonnie
done
)

server-config (both equal):

volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /p3
end-volume

volume locks
  type features/locks
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume p3
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 8
  subvolumes locks
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  option auth.addr.p3.allow *
  subvolumes p3
end-volume

client config (both equal):

volume remote1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 192.168.0.101
  option remote-subvolume p3
end-volume

volume remote2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host 192.168.0.102
  option remote-subvolume p3
end-volume

volume replicate
  type cluster/replicate
  option data-self-heal on
  option metadata-self-heal on
  option entry-self-heal on
  subvolumes remote1 remote2
end-volume

volume readahead
  type performance/read-ahead
  # option page-size 1MB     # unit in bytes
  option page-count 8       # cache per file  = (page-count x page-size)
  subvolumes replicate
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  # option aggregate-size 1MB
  # option window-size 1MB
  option cache-size 128MB
  option flush-behind on
  subvolumes readahead
end-volume

volume cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 512MB
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

Btw: the commented options are not recognised according to the logs ...

Stephan