[Gluster-users] Horrible performance with small files (DHT/AFR)

Benjamin Krein superbenk at superk.org
Wed Jun 3 19:59:45 UTC 2009

The current boxes I'm using for testing are as follows:

  * 2x dual-core Opteron ~2GHz (x86_64)
  * 4GB RAM
  * 4x 7200 RPM 73GB SATA - RAID1+0 w/3ware hardware controllers

The server storage directories live in /home/clusterfs where /home is
an ext3 partition mounted with noatime.

These servers are not virtualized.  They are running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Server x86_64.

The files I'm copying are all <2k javascript files (plain text) stored
in 100 hash directories in each of 3 parent directories:

/home/clusterfs/
   + parentdir1/
   |   + 00/
   |   | ...
   |   + 99/
   + parentdir1/
   |   + 00/
   |   | ...
   |   + 99/
   + parentdir1/
       + 00/
       + 99/

There are ~10k of these <2k javascript files distributed throughout
the above directory structure totaling approximately 570MB.  My tests
have been copying that entire directory structure from a client
machine into the glusterfs mountpoint on the client.

Observing IO on both the client box & all the server boxes via iostat
shows that the disks are doing *very* little work.  Observing the CPU/
memory load with top or htop shows that none of the boxes are CPU or
memory bound.  Observing the bandwidth in/out of the network interface
shows <1MB/s throughput (we have a fully gigabit LAN!) which usually
drops down to <150KB/s during the copy.

scp'ing the same directory structure from the same client to one of
the same servers will work at ~40-50MB/s sustained as a comparison.
Here is the results of copying the same directory structure using
rsync to the same partition:

# time rsync -ap * benk at cfs1:~/cache/
benk at cfs1's password:

real	0m23.566s
user	0m8.433s
sys	0m4.580s

Ben

On Jun 3, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Jasper van Wanrooy - Chatventure wrote:

> Hi Benjamin,
>
> That's not good news. What kind of hardware do you use? Is it
> virtualised? Or do you use real boxes?
> What kind of files are you copying in your test? What performance do
> you have when copying it to a local dir?
>
> Best regards Jasper

>>> user	0m1.168s