[Gluster-users] GlusterFS & XenServer Baremetal

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Sat Jul 18 01:21:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009, Alexandre Emeriau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is for you the best GlusterFS scenario in using XenServer (i'm not
> talking about Xen on a linux but XenServer baremetal) for a web farm
> (Apache-Tomcat) ? I were thinking of using ZFS as the filesystem for the
> different nodes.
>
> The objectives/needs :
>
> * A storage cluster with the capacity equal to at least 1 node(assuming all
> nodes are the same).
> * being able to lose/take down any one brick in the cluster at any time
> without a loss of data.
> * more than the throughput of a single server, if not in overall speed, then
> in width.
> * being able to add more bricks in and have the expectation of increased
> storage capacity and throughput.
> * present the storage as a single entity

This is all doable, the only downside is that last time I tested even with
raw RAID 6 IO of 400 meg, I was only able to get 25 MB/s with
--disable-direct-io-mode.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com