[Gluster-users] 2.0.3

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Tue Jul 14 10:27:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:39:43 -0500 (CDT)
Vikas Gorur <vikas at gluster.com> wrote:

> Stephan,
>
> Are you absolutely sure you're running 2.0.4? I'm asking because I
> _can_ reproduce the problem exactly as you described in 2.0.3 without
> the patch mentioned and can see the problem goes away with the patch/2.0.4.
>
> Folks,
> If one of you has a little time, could you please test this
> and confirm if it is fixed or not fixed?
>
> Vikas

Maybe I should more precisely explain what I am doing, in case there are
related problems.

I am using a copy of the opensuse 11.1 DVD for that test. I copy the whole DVD
files into a directory called "suse" on the first server. The directory "suse"
is located on the top level of the gluster-exported "/p3". Then I start "ls
-lR" on one of two connected clients and watch it flow. In the meantime you
can see the directories and files being created on the second server. After
some minutes the "ls" exits correctly. Then looking at the second servers'
"suse" directory reveals it has incorrect mtime at least on the "suse" dir. My
personal opinion is that this derives from the files being added _inside_ the
directory during the healing process. Nevertheless glusterfs should handle
that case like rsync does, too.
Another thing you can see in this example: if you repeat "ls -lR" you will
notice quite some directories inside the healed "suse" tree have wrong mtime
(from the healing) displayed during ls. This proves that mtime displayed on
the client does not always come from the first server. And it proves that this
really is a production no-go, because your mtimes are indeed flapping after
this healing process.

Stephan