[Gluster-users] GlusterFS Preformance

Hiren Joshi josh at moonfruit.com
Wed Jul 8 12:22:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating gluster with the intention of replacing our
current setup and have a few questions:

At the moment, we have a large SAN which is split into 10 partitions and
served out via NFS. For gluster, I was thinking 12 nodes to make up
about 6TB (mirrored so that's 1TB per node) and served out using
gluster. What sort of filesystem should I be using for the nodes
(currently on ext3) to give me the best performance and recoverability?

Also, I setup a test with a simple mirrored pair with a client that
looks like:
volume glust3
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host glust3
 option remote-port 6996
 option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume
volume glust4
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host glust4
 option remote-port 6996
 option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume
volume mirror1
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes glust3 glust4
end-volume
volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option window-size 1MB
  subvolumes mirror1
end-volume
volume cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 512MB
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

I ran a basic test by writing 1G to an NFS server and this gluster pair:
[root at glust1 ~]# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/glust2_nfs/nfs_test
bs=65536 count=15625
15625+0 records in
15625+0 records out
1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 1718.16 seconds, 596 kB/s

real    28m38.278s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.650s
[root at glust1 ~]# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/glust/glust_test bs=65536
count=15625
15625+0 records in
15625+0 records out
1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 3572.31 seconds, 287 kB/s

real    59m32.745s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.010s

With it taking almost twice as long, can I expect this sort of
performance degradation on 'real' servers? Also, what sort of setup
would you recommend for us?

Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Josh.