[Gluster-users] DHT and adding bricks

Daniel dangil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 07:45:39 UTC 2009

hello there

sorry for the newbie question, but I couldn't find an answer thru the
old messages

I am researching glusterfs for a personal project involving a
constantly growing storage farm

my config is simple: several bricks and a server doing DHT using
cluster/distribute just like
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Hash_Across_Four_Storage_Servers

I learned that when you add a brick to an existing configuration,
files copied to the folders that already existed, including the root
folder are not distributed to the new bricks

new files in new folders are

what happens if I keep loading files on a folder that was already
created after a new brick is added?

will the new files eventually get distributed to the new bricks when
the old bricks get full ?

if not, is there a way around this ?

after I added the bricks, I restarted the whole server, but nothing changed

thanks in advance

daniel