[Gluster-users] AFR/replicate questions

Barnaby Gray barnaby at capsaicin.ltd.uk
Fri Jan 30 12:20:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up server-side AFR with 2 servers in
separate data centres, separated by a WAN. Writes will be relatively
few, so we can live with the performance limitations of the WAN.

I noticed unexpected performance though when listing directories of
around 1k files with ls -al. It looks like for this operation server1 is
sending traffic to server2 in the other data centre, which for a
read-only operation I wasn't expecting.

tshark shows a reasonable amount of traffic that looks related to xattr:
lots of mentions of filenames and 'trusted.glusterfs.afr.metadata-pending'.

I'm using the "option read-subvolume local" to point read operations to
the volume local to either server.

Have tried both with and without the performance translators client-side
to no avail. We're using 2.0.0rc1.

Apologies if this is an obvious question - can someone spot what I'm
doing wrong?

cheers,

Barnaby