[Gluster-users] Distribute translator and differing brick sizes

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Tue Jan 27 11:38:14 UTC 2009

At 10:34 PM 1/26/2009, Andrew McGill wrote:
>On Tuesday 27 January 2009 01:27:42 Sean Davis wrote:
> > If I am putting together several volumes of varying sizes using distribute,
> > what type of load balancing should I expect?  I understand hashing and it
> > sounds like if the disk fills, then it is not used, but can I use ALU
> > scheduler to cut things off before the disk becomes full to allow for
> > growth of directories and files?
>
> > How are people approaching this?
>
>To implement artificial quotas, I've created multiple loopback filesystems
>with unit sizes, and shared those with AFR.  This is far from optimal, but it
>does mean that I can be sure that the volumes are a the same size.
>Conceivably, they can be enlarged if they run out of space.  LVM would be
>just as good/bad, but I don't want to take the machines down to resize
>partitions.

aren't quotas enforced on the server side if they're enabled there?

I'm not using quotas so I can't test this for you, but logically this
seems like it would work since gluster ultimately is bound by the
rules of it's underlying filesystems.

I'm just not sure how it would behave if someone tries to append or
write a file that would cause an over-quota problem and, in the case
of HA/AFR what would happen if quotas were turned on on one server
and not on another?

hopefully someone will calarify so we'll both know :)