[Gluster-users] Distribute translator and differing brick sizes

Andrew McGill list2008 at lunch.za.net
Tue Jan 27 06:34:24 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 01:27:42 Sean Davis wrote:
> If I am putting together several volumes of varying sizes using distribute,
> what type of load balancing should I expect?  I understand hashing and it
> sounds like if the disk fills, then it is not used, but can I use ALU
> scheduler to cut things off before the disk becomes full to allow for
> growth of directories and files?

> How are people approaching this?

To implement artificial quotas, I've created multiple loopback filesystems
with unit sizes, and shared those with AFR.  This is far from optimal, but it
does mean that I can be sure that the volumes are a the same size.
Conceivably, they can be enlarged if they run out of space.  LVM would be
just as good/bad, but I don't want to take the machines down to resize
partitions.

If glusterfs implemented soft quotas I would use that rather -- even though
quotas are metadata.

&:-)