[Gluster-users] Email storage backend for Sendmail, Maildir, and Courier-imap

Cory Meyer cory.meyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 04:28:38 UTC 2009

I'm working on a project to use GlusterFS as the backend for email storage
to replace the current NFS implementation.  The goal is to configure
GlusterFS w/AFR to replicate the files across all 3 storage nodes.   Each
storage node will also act a an email server configured behind a load
balancer running Sendmail, Maildrop, and Courier-Imap.

Main issue so far seems to be related with Courier-Imap in that when moving
messages between IMAP folders some messages are duplicated with the
io-threads enabled on the client side.  Issue looks to be on the
Courier-IMAP side though I haven't seen this with NFS and the duplicate
messages within the Maildir have unique file names.

Any other simular experiences with email services backended with GlusterFS?

Node test hardware x 3:
Quad core Xeon 2Ghz w/ 4x7200rpm SATA drives.
Raid5 across all 4 drives. (Raid0 will also be tested if additional speed is
necessary)
8Gb Ram

Network:  Currently 100Mbit though production will be 1Gbit.

Os: Debian Etch  (2.6.18-6-686-bigmem)
GlusterFS:  1.3.12
Fuse: 2.7.3glfs10
Courier-imap 4.1.1.20060828-5

Partition Layout:
sda1 --> Os (ext3)
sda2 --> Swap
sda5 --> glusterfs_data (ext3)

GlusterFS patched Fuse kernel module, util, and libraries have been
installed on each of my 3 storage nodes.

Here is the basics of my Gluster configuration.
Server:  Brick --> TCP
Client:  Bricks -->  AFR --> io-thread --> write-behind --> io-cache -->
read-ahead

Follow the Pastebin URL for my raw config file:
http://glusterfs.pastebin.com/f7814657c

Any suggestions?

-- Cory