[Gluster-users] locks feature not loading ? (2.0.0rc1)

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Wed Jan 14 16:30:00 UTC 2009

Keith Freedman wrote:

>> Also, the documentation for the locks feature on the wiki says :
>>
>> "Typically you'll want to load this on the server side, just above the
>> POSIX storage translator."
>>
>> Does it mean to say "below", or should we actually load the locks
>> feature before the posix translator, somehow ?
>
> I think they mean above.
> the config file builds a stack.  the "top" item in the config is the
> "bottom" brick in the stack.
> so the 2nd item in the config is put on TOP of the other brick.
>
> I believe this explains the terminology.  I agree it's perhaps
> conter-intuitive, but only to non-programmers... people who know
> 'stacks' get it right away.

Ah, yes, if we're interpreting the documentation from the perspective of
stacks that's fine ; however, i would humbly submit that the most
obvious interpretation of "above" is "higher in position", which - in a
plaintext configuration file - means "before".

I suppose the greater questions is whether the documentation is meant
for programmers explicitly, or for technically-minded people generally...

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>