[Gluster-users] tailing active files

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Tue Jan 13 03:04:53 UTC 2009

this is interesting.

I'm running glusterfs--mainline--3.0--patch-840

using AFR.
I did your test
on the local machine, running tail does exactly what you indicated...
it acts like it was run without the -f.
on the other replication server, lines show up 2 at a time.
so it started at 9 or something
then I got 10 & 11, 2 seconds later, 12, 13, etc...
the same time tail -f on the server I was running the thing on sat
there a while then produced some output.

again, the afr machine updated more frequently, but the local machine
just needed to get past some buffering

what I saw was (you'll notice this faster if you remove the sleep)
it would show some numbers, then jump and show another batch of
numbers, then pause then show another batch.
here's an output from tail -f
Notice that at 63, there was some weirdness, like it was trying to
print 1041 and 1860, I'm guessing
then I got 1861 -.... and then I'd get a jump in numbers.. if I cat
the file all the numbers are there.

Also, in some of my tests I got input/output errors ----  I belive
this was due to having tail -f running on the other afr server and
this code you provided using > which truncates the file.  seems AFR
has a little bug there if a file is open for reading on the other
server and is truncated.  the io error went away when I killed the
tail process on the other machine.

55
56
57