[Gluster-users] tailing active files

Bryan Talbot btalbot at aeriagames.com
Mon Jan 12 22:25:38 UTC 2009

I'm running 1.4rc7 (glusterfs--mainline--3.0--patch-814) and seeing
some odd behavior when tailing a file that is being written to by a
single process --  a log file in this case.

The odd behaviors that I've noticed are that "tail -f" behaves like
"tail" and doesn't show any updates.  In addition, /usr/bin/less seems
to show binary values (at least that's what I assume the "^@"
characters are supposed to be) when the bottom of the file "G"
accessed instead of the new data added to the file after less was
started.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a work-around?

Here's how I'm able to reproduce it.  Run the script below and direct
the output to a gluster-hosted file.  Then attempt to "tail -f" or
use /usr/bin/less on the file from another terminal.

$> num=0; while [ 1 ]; do echo $((num++)); sleep 1; done > /mnt/
gluster/nums.txt

The output from /usr/bin/less ends up looking like this:
301
302
303
304
305
306
307
308
309
310
311
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@

Gluster configs are very basic:
## Server
volume brick
  type storage/posix
  option directory /glusterfs/export
end-volume

volume lock
   type features/posix-locks
   subvolumes brick
end-volume

volume export
   type performance/io-threads
   subvolumes lock
   option thread-count 4 # default value is 1
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp
  subvolumes export
  option auth.addr.export.allow 10.10.10.*
end-volume

## Client
volume volume1
   type protocol/client