[Gluster-users] glusterfs alternative ? :P

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Mon Jan 12 13:39:02 UTC 2009

At 05:13 AM 1/12/2009, Stas Oskin wrote:
>In my opinion, The main benefit of Lustre, when compared to
>GlusterFS, is the transparent HA of data (distribution done behind
>the scenes), addition and removal of nodes (don't know if they
>support data rebalancing - KosmosFS does), and management.

I believe this is on the gluster roadmap?  along with a gui configuration tool.

>GlusterFS of course major points are complete meta-data dispersion,
>which prevents a single point of failure, and very easy start (just
>install and get it running).

This is one of the things that frustrated me most with these things
(starting with CODA--whatever happened to that?).  the meta-data
always complicated things and introduced a single point of failure
which mitigates any HA value.

Keith