[Gluster-users] AFR issue when server fails

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Tue Jan 6 06:44:45 UTC 2009

ok, so I ran into another afr problem tonight.

I have 2 servers afr-ing eachother.
one of them had a keniption and was in some strange half working state.
the other one was working fine.

I rebooted the half working one and gluster hung on the other one.
it failed to timeout as expected, and just sat there until the other
machine was pingable. then it realized it was there but not accepting
connections (since it wasn't up enough to mount the filesystem
yet).  At this point the good server started moving along ok.

so it seems that AFR does the right thing when the IP address is
connectable but the AFR process or port isn't responding, but if the
machine/ip is completely down, then it just hangs seemingly forever.

??