[Gluster-users] try to understand how it works...

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Sun Dec 27 14:03:06 UTC 2009

Hi David,

Please find the comments inlined below.

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM, David Touzeau <david at touzeau.eu> wrote:

> Dear
>
> My english is poor but after several research i will not really
> understand how the replication works.
> I have created 3 clusters server that share 2 directories in
> cluster/replicate mode
>
> /home/replicate
> /home/replicate2
>
> each server mount the pool clusters in /mnt/replicate
> and /mnt/replicate2
>
> if i add a file in /home/replicate in one node, nothing happen in others
> node.
> The file is not added in the desired folder /home/replicate on others
> nodes.

you should not do any filesystem operations on the back-end directory
directly. The correct way of doing it, is to create a file on /mnt/replicate
or /mnt/replicate2 (two mount-points are not necessary for correct working
of replicate, unless you really want two mount points) and checking the
backend directories (ls on both backend directories should show the file
being created).

> But if a do an "ls mnt/replicate" in the mounted directory the file is
> correctly added on all nodes.
>
> did i must cron the "ls" in order to execute the replication ?

No, during normal operation, replicate automatically replicates. Only when
there is a node failure, and when the node comes up you need to execute 'ls
-lR /mnt/replicate" to heal the node which is up now with the node which was
running fine.

> did the cluster mode is not in "real time" and this is the standard
> procedure ?
>

> best regards

regards,
--