[Gluster-users] AFR not working

Vikas Gorur vikas at gluster.com
Wed Dec 23 14:08:20 UTC 2009

Adrian Revill wrote:
> Thanks Vikas,
>
> You were right, i commented out the stat-prefetch section and the sync
> now works. Perhaps the glusterfs-volgen should not put it in for raid 1
We'll review this and see if we can tweak stat-prefetch to allow
replicate sync's
to happen sooner.
> So it looks like to make a fully redundant system we need to poll the
> client mount points with ls -lR at least at server startup.
> For scalability, the servers should run the client mount on itself and
> poll itself.
> Surely a feature to trigger a full re-sync should be part of the
> server daemon, perhaps first client to connect gets a please sync me
> message.
That's something to think about. I'm not sure if such a re-sync
is best done by GlusterFS or by an external tool.
> I found a little gotcha with file deletion
>
> 2 servers running, create a file, and shut down server2, delete the
> file and shut down server1. Start server2 and the file reappears,
> which is expected, start server1 and the file remains and is synced
> back to server1.
> This means in case of a server failure, server restarts,  the order
> that servers are restarted is very important if the un-deletion of
> files is an issue.
I'll look into this. GlusterFS in general takes a conservative approach and
when in doubt prefers to retain data than deleting.
> I also found that lsattr does not work with glusterfs
> lsattr /mnt/export/
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
> /mnt/export/t2

lsattr is a tool specific to Ext2/Ext3 filesystems and will not work on
other filesystems (be they fuse-based or disk-based like ReiserFS or XFS).

Vikas