[Gluster-users] Replication deleting file contents

Adrian Revill adrian.revill at shazamteam.com
Tue Dec 22 11:19:20 UTC 2009

Hi Vikas

This is a puzzle, I cant seem to be able to reproduce the problem, since
I had the problem I had deleted the backing store directories. All I can
think is when I originally started up the servers, I had not installed
the fuse rpm's, maybe that created a funny state.
I will continue testing for the failure scenarios, as I want to start
using glusterfs in a live environment in the new year, It looks like an
excellent solution to distribute data files for our Beowulf clusters.

I now see the reported file sizes go to zero when the empty server
joins, but the original data is still available in the first servers
backing store.

Attached are the logs
I started the server and client on factory2, mounting the directory with
mount -t glusterfs localhost /mnt/export/
copied in 3 files
ran ls -al /mnt/export and got correct file sizes.
Started factory2 and ran ls -al /mnt/ again and the file sizes are 0.

I do have one more question. When should a joining server get updated?
 From the forum and docs it seems it should be as soon as the directory
is read.
But I cant get the empty server to update its contents till I read the
file contents eg md5sum the file. Is there any way to force a server to
update?

regards
Adrian