[Gluster-users] Gluster 2.x + NX Server

Jeff Evans jeffe at tricab.com
Thu Dec 3 01:49:05 UTC 2009

Hi Ian,

> However, when I use the Gluster Partition for the home
> directories, I never get the application running (even a simple
> /usr/bin/xeyes).  When using /home/ (localFS) it works fine.

OK, but surely you see some error when trying to run the app, what
about the NX server logs?
Have you checked permissions and X authority/keys are correct for your
new home dirs?

> I really don't know where to go from here.  Is GlusterFS somehow
> "seen" differently from the OS in some way that would make it not
> work this way.

There are differences in regards to direct-io and mmap etc.. but NX
shouldn't need any of that?

> I don't see anything useful in the logs.  I have
> turned on GlusterFS in debug mode, but don't see anything.

That's why you now need to look at your application errors.

> How goes Gluster deal with permissions and ownership, since it is
> distributed?  Perhaps the problem is somewhere there?

I believe permissions/ownerships are really just handled by the
underlying FS, so I don't think gluster makes a difference there.

> Thanks!

Perhaps it may be worth asking an NX list for hints on running on a
shared FS...

Good luck!

Jeff.