[Gluster-users] Replication and Distribution behavior

mike foster mfosterm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:49:57 UTC 2009

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything
close enough to this scenario in searching the archives.

I'm evaluating a 4 node cluster, with nodes 1 and 2 replicating, nodes 3 and
4 replicating and pair 1 (nodes 1 and 2) and pair 2 (nodes 3 and 4) set to
"distribution".

However, when I copy data to any node on the /gluster mount point from a 5th
machine using scp, all of the data shows up in the exported share on nodes 1
and 2 only. The data does not get replicated to nodes 3 and 4, even when
directly connected to those servers.

Am I missing something or ...

Here's some configuration details:

cat /proc/mounts:

glusterfs#/etc/glusterfs/client.vol /gluster fuse
rw,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,max_read=131072 0 0

auto mounting the glusterfs in /etc/rc.local: glusterfs -f
/etc/glusterfs/client.vol /gluster

--- server.vol ---

# Gluster directory on raid volume /dev/md0
volume posix
  type storage/posix
  option directory /mnt/raid/gluster/export
end-volume

volume locks
  type features/locks
  subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume brick
  type performance/io-threads
  option thread-count 4
  subvolumes locks
end-volume

### Add network serving capability to above brick
volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type ib-verbs
  option auth.addr.brick.allow *
  subvolumes brick
end-volume

--- end of server.vol ---

--- client.vol ---

volume cf01
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type ib-verbs
  option remote-host 10.185.17.11
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume cf02
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type ib-verbs
  option remote-host 10.185.17.12
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume cf03
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type ib-verbs
  option remote-host 10.185.17.13
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume cf04
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type ib-verbs
  option remote-host 10.185.17.14
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

# Replicate data across each servers in 2 pairs
volume pair01
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes cf01 cf02
end-volume