[Gluster-users] Deployment (round 2)

Krishna Srinivas krishna at zresearch.com
Sat Sep 20 20:32:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Paolo Supino <paolo.supino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Krishna
>
>  I have all intentions of mounting the toaster's filesystems on the
> head node using iSCSI (see my original post), but I have a problem: I
> have 35 servers in the gluster filesystem that the researchers don't see
> directly: the head node hides the private network with
> PAT/PNAT/Masquerading (pick your favorite acronym) so the clients only
> see the head node but not all the gluster filesystem servers behind it.
> The glusterfs clients get a wrong image of the gluster filesystem ... I
> could simply remove the PAT/PNAT/Masquerading (pick your favorite
> acronym), but I'd rather not do that because that adds an overhead in
> systems administration and breaks the rule of KISS.

Ah OK, you have 35 storage servers apart from toaster.
If I understand you correctly, you are planing to run glusterfs
client on head node and re-export this mount point to the
researchers' nodes?
If yes, you could setup port forwarding on head node and avoid
re-exporting completely so that researchers' nodes access the
storage nodes directly.

Regards
Krishna

> --
> TIA
> Paolo
>

> Krishna Srinivas wrote:
>> Paolo,
>>
>> You could mount toaster's partition on head node using iscsi.
>> Run glusterfs server on head node exporting the two partitions.
>> Run glusterfs client on the researcher's nodes.
>>
>> Krishna
>>
>> 2008/9/18 Paolo Supino <paolo.supino at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>>   now that I have a new shiney parallel filesystem :-) I want to take
>>> it a step forward (the fun never ends ;-) ) ...
>>>   A few words on my HPC cluster:
>>> 1. The private network between the compute nodes, head and toaster
>>> (Netapp FAS 2020) is Gigabit Ethernet.
>>> 2. The toaster exports 2.1 and 5.1 TB volumes served over NFSv3 (ouch..)
>>> 3. Only the head node is multi homed and connected to the faculty
>>> network, where the researchers are ...
>>>
>>>   What I thought of doing:
>>> 1. Re export the toaster using iSCSI.
>>> 2. Mount the iSCSI exports on the head and add them to the gluster
>>> volume. This is pretty straight forward :-) and voilà I have a uniform
>>> 9.3TB volume ...