[Gluster-users] Problem with some files not auto-healing still

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Thu Sep 18 01:35:08 UTC 2008

At 05:29 PM 9/17/2008, Will Rouesnel wrote:
>Having fixed my problems with glusterfs crashing (which appears to
>be related to symlinks in the cluster) I've found my problem with
>some files not auto-healing has re-emerged. It's the same problem as
>before - gluster is aware the files exist on the storage brick, but
>does not heal them to the namespace.
>
>Is there any way I can diagnose this problem? Could it be an issue
>with gluster being unable to access the files (there are no
>permission differences between these and others)? How does gluster
>detect discrepancies between the namespace and bricks?

as I understand it, gluster uses 2 extended attributes.  One for some
sort of timestamp and another for a version number (I think this is
slightly changed in 1.4).

based on some criteria these are used to determine which machine has
the latest version of the file.

what I remember seeing in the past was, if you have a filesystem
which doesn't have extended attributes enabled, those files never got
AFR'ed.  so I'm assuming this happens with any file whose extended
attributes are missing.

I think gluster should, if a file doesn't have extended attributes
one one machine and does on the other, the one without attributes
should be overwritte with the other version and then given
attributes.  but I think this may be so as to preserve files that
aren't gluster manged, but I've no idea the thought process on that.

However, look at the extended attributes of the files not healing and
I'll bet something wrong with them.