[Gluster-users] Cluster over a flaky network

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Fri Oct 10 10:12:13 UTC 2008

http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Understanding_AFR_Translator

especially read the part about split brain.  this is the situation you'll have.

also, using find to force auto-healing.

there do seem to be problems with gluster 1.4pre5 when using AFR in
the face of network interruptions.  I've found that with my 2 AFR
servers, if one is down for too long, gluster on the other server
will just die--I presume it gets lonely and can't go on.  This is why
I try not to date anyone whose co-dependant.

I'd wait for the release of 1.4 since I believe this will be resolved.

In the meantime you can try 1.3.12 which seem to work better,
although not better at the same time.  The AFR protocol in 1.4 is
more efficient as is, I believe, it's handling of split brain, but if
you want to get cooking right now, start with 1.3.12 or wait a few weeks.

Good luck.
Keith