[Gluster-users] Cluster over a flaky network

Mike Cardwell gluster at lists.grepular.com
Fri Oct 10 08:24:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Gluster and I have a couple of questions.

I would like to create a 2 host cluster over a fairly slow, sometimes
unreliable network (http://www.torproject.org/). I'm not sure if what I
want can be achieved using gluster. I'd like it to work as follows:

Two servers, separated by the unreliable network mentioned above. A
mount on each server which replicates all changes to the other server
(two way) like a mirror. If the network is unresponsive at the time of a
change, it waits until the network becomes responsive again and then
sends the change.

If I write to the local mount, I want it to be quick. I don't want to
wait for the change to have been replicated over to the other server
before the write completes.

What sort of replication would I use to achieve this?

Mike