[Gluster-users] Video Surviellance Application

Harald Stürzebecher haralds at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 10 11:16:03 UTC 2008

2008/11/10 Vikas Gorur <vikas at zresearch.com>:
> 2008/11/9 Wayne A. Green <wgreen at bbtconsulting.com>:
>
>>  We are working on a project that requires replication of video
>>  archives across a gigE network. The application will provide storage
>>  for high definition video surveillance in the data center with
>>  replication of all information to a remote data center. The remote
>>  data center is accessible via gigE networks. We would like the
>>  cameras to send images across the gigE networks to replicated
>>  glusterFS servers. There will be constant writing of
>>  information. Has this application been explored with GlusterFS? Does
>>  anyone have any insight?
>
> The AFR translator in GlusterFS is designed for this very purpose.
> When you use it, everything your applications write to files
> on the GlusterFS mountpoint will be replicated to a configurable
> number of remote servers.

Beware that the network bandwidth might get divided between the
connections to the servers. 8-)

An extreme example:
A client machine has one gigE connection to the network and uses
client side AFR to replicate the data to 5 servers.

The network connection of the client machine has to be shared by the 5
connections - limiting it to a theoretical 200Mbit/s maximum for each
connection on write operations. Personally, I would not expect to get
more than 15MB/s for big (exceeding client side cache size) write
operations on that glusterfs volume because of protocol overhead.
Someone who is used to measure 90+MB/s on connections to a single
server (using NFS, CIFS or HTTP) might be surprised by that.

I admit that this is an extreme example, YMMV.

>> Thanks,
>> Wayne A. Green
>
> Vikas Gorur
> --