[Gluster-users] Problems getting Glusterfs running on IB

Raghavendra G raghavendra.hg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 03:40:20 UTC 2008

Hi Peter,
Glusterfs ib-verbs transport needs libibverbs to be installed. Is it
installed on your system. Also, in case of ib-sdp are you able to ping the
other node using the interface which has ib-sdp support?

regards,
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Peter Pelekis <pete.pelekis at wsm.com> wrote:

> I'm having some problems getting Glusterfs to run on my system. This is
> the first time using it so you I'm not to knowledgeable yet. The system
> I'm using has infiniband installed so I would like to use the IB for the
> transport  for better performance. Heres what I have done so far.  I
> first set up glusterfs to run over tcp on the Gig-E network and that
> worked fine so I decided to move to the IB network and thats when my
> problems started. Heres some information about the system.
>
> Glusterfs: glusterfs-1.3.9
> Fuse: fuse-2.7.3glfs10
> Cards: Qlogic QLE7240
> Drivers: InfiniPath-2.2
> OS: Centos5.2
> Kernel: 2.6.18-53
> 4 Storage nodes
> 46 Compute nodes
>
> When I first ran configure on glusterfs I got the following message
> after it ran configure.
>
> GlusterFS configure summary
> ===========================
> Fuse client        : yes
> Infiniband verbs   : no
> epoll IO multiplex : yes
>
> If I look at lsmod I do have a ib_uverbs module installed and working
> but the configure script doesn't pick it up. I decided move on and use
> ib-sdp instead. I modified all my client and server volume files to
> reflect ib-sdp for the transport then I started the server on my 4
> storage nodes it started fine.  I then went to one of my compute nodes
> to mount the volume.
> glusterfsd --transport=ib-sdp -s storage-ib1 /glusterfs
>
> It returned with the following error.
> glusterfs: could not open specfile
>
> Then I tried to specify the volume file to see if that would work.
> glusterfsd --spec-file=/usr/local/etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol
> /glusterfs
>
> It returned fine so I thought everything was working until I ran df I
> got the following error.
> df: `/glusterfs': Transport endpoint is not connected
>
> I had it log the error that its getting when I try and mount the
> filesystem.
> 2008-07-24 17:28:01 E [ib-sdp-client.c:141:ib_sdp_connect] trans: error:
> not in progress - trace: Network is unreachable
> 2008-07-24 17:28:01 W [client-protocol.c:332:client_protocol_xfer]
> trans: not connected at the moment to submit frame type(2) op(4)
> 2008-07-24 17:28:01 E [client-protocol.c:4538:client_getspec_cbk] trans:
> no proper reply from server, returning ENOTCONN
>
> This where I'm now I looked around the devel list and didn't find
> anything on using the qlogic drivers just the ofed IB drivers. Heres
> what my configuration files. I would like to us ib-verbs if thats
> possible the performance should be much better then ib-sdp.
>
>  volume posix-stripe
>           type storage/posix
>           option directory /export/glusterfs
>   end-volume
>
>   volume server
>           type protocol/server
>           option transport-type ib-sdp/server
> [...]

Raghavendra G

A centipede was happy quite, until a toad in fun,
Said, "Prey, which leg comes after which?",
This raised his doubts to such a pitch,
He fell flat into the ditch,
Not knowing how to run.
-Anonymous