[Gluster-users] file locked / inaccessible if auto-heal required & confusing log messages (1.4rc3)

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Thu Dec 18 10:15:21 UTC 2008

Krishna Srinivas wrote:

> Here the "selfheal complete" is acutaly "selfheal complete
> unsuccessfully". It does not heal the file and open returns error. The

Ah, ok.  May i humbly suggest - for the sanity of poor sysadmins
everywhere - that this error message be clarified in a future release ? :)

> healing code detects a conflicting case if it sees that both the
> subvols say that they are the latest and other is outdated. We see
> this happen when there is a split brain situation (network between AFR
> servers is broken and different clients write to each AFR
> independently) or in a very rare case where one of the servers go down
> right when a write operation is happening. I think you have hit the
> 2nd case. Here AFR can not really decide on which subvol has the
> latest version hence it leaves is to the discretion of the user.
> Earlier 1.3 AFR did not handle the split brain situation hence you did
> not see this.

I likely hit the second case, then.  Our environment is (perhaps) a bit
odd in that we're heavier on writing than on reading, so when Gluster
crashes, there's definitely writes occuring at exactly that moment...

Thank you for the response.

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>