[Gluster-users] cleanest way to restart the client process ?

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Wed Dec 17 10:12:06 UTC 2008

Hello all,

When the Gluster client config changes, or (sadly) when the Gluster
client process crashes entirely, what is the best way to reload Gluster
?  For example, after a crash, i get the dreaded « transport endpoint
not connected » message, and am left without a clean way to resume
normal activities.

I ask because, normally, the Gluster mountpoint is « in use », so the
kernel refuses to unmount the partition.  I can (and have) gone through
the process list with a fine-tooth comb and killed off every process
that might be touching mount, but it's clunky and time-consuming - and i
tend to anger the developers when exit their sessions without warning. :P

Rebooting is a sure-fire solution, but, of course, this has obvious
downsides as well.

Does anybody have a more elegant way to go about reloading the client
process - especially in the case of crashes ?

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>