[Gluster-users] monitoring glusterfs ?

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Mon Dec 8 21:37:42 UTC 2008

I do something a bit more simple.
since my gluster filesystem has a web server on
top, I have a cgi script which returns the hostname and a timestamp.

I do a wget from another machine, if it times
out, then somethings wrong, if it returns an
error code then somethings wrong, if it returns
the hostname and a timestamp which is different
form the last timestamp I got then it's working.

the real problem with any monitoring is that
there's no real good way to automate fixing the failed gluster mount.

since, in my experience, when the gluster mount fails it does a couple things:
1) the glusterfs process is still alive but only
certain parts of the filesystem are
inaccessible--I think they've fixed most of these
problems in the recent versions of 1.4...
However, when this happens, there are lots of
zombied processes and often a df of the mount
point hangs.  but some files can be accessed
while others cant.  So, killing the glusterfs
process doesn't always  unlock the file locks so
you can't unmount and remount the filesystem
without finding and killing off all the hung processes
2) glusterfs process is dead, but you have some
zombied things with file descriptors open on the
mount point.  in this case, sometimes a fuser -c
will show the processes and you can kill them other times not.

so, if there were an easy way of automating
remounting the filesystem, then we'd be in good
shape, but since there isn't all we can do is get
notified that it's broken and then take manual
steps, so a simple method of knowing it's broken is sufficient for my purposes