[Gluster-users] monitoring glusterfs ?

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Mon Dec 8 14:37:47 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I am curious to know if anybody out there is monitoring their Gluster
systems in some way, and if so, how you've decided to go about it.

I currently use Monit ( http://mmonit.com ) to do some basic checks :
- is the glusterfs process in memory ?
- is the glusterfs process a zombie ?
- can a file be read on the gluster mount ?
- can a file be written on the gluster mount ?

One of the features of Monit is a simple connection test, whereby Monit
will connect to the port of a given service, send a string, and then
test the response.  For example, one could connect to the SMTP service
and issue a HELO, then check the response for validity.

I would like very much to implement this feature, however i'm not sure
that Gluster has any « plaintext » interactions of this sort.  Is anyone
aware of a way to implement this functionality ?  The idea here would be
to test whether the port is connectable /and/ that the process behind it
is responding intelligently.  I ask because a few weeks ago we had a
problem where the glusterfs process was in memory, but wasn't actually
accepting connections or interactions - a connection test would have
found this problem immediately.

Thank you, all !

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>