[Gluster-infra] Updating /opt/qa and installing dependencies

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 04:21:05 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 04:45:24PM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le vendredi 15 juillet 2016 à 11:43 +0530, Nigel Babu a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm toying with the idea that each job will have commands to install
> > dependencies and update the /opt/qa folder. This will make the whole process of
> > adding a new node in the testing pool trivial requiring not a lot of effort
> > from the infrastructure team.
>
> I do think this will make things more complex.
>
> Now, we have 1 ansible playbook to make a working jenkins builder [1],
> and later, we would have a half playbook, half jenkins jobs.
>
> We would still need to have stuff in ansible, because we need to
> configure the VM before leting jenkins run (installing java, setting the
> user and ssh keys, for a start, removing extra network card and ipv6 for
> more complicated stuff).
>
> What advantages would it bring to convert the existing work to jenkins
> jobs that we do not already have ?
>
> > However, if we break the /opt/qa repo, we'll spread the breakage everywhere.
> > The fallback for errors would be to push a revert. Thoughts on this idea?
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/gluster/gluster.org_ansible_configuration/tree/master/roles/jenkins_builder
> --
> Michael Scherer
> Sysadmin, Community Infrastructure and Platform, OSAS

Here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to redefine our pool so we have a centos
pool. All linux jobs run on this pool. Ansible will be used to bootstrap these
machines. But in case we add a new job which needs a new package installed for
that particular test, the changes need to be made in both places, but you are
not blocked by the ansible run to deploy the new test. It can be pushed to
Jenkins immediately after merging.

Primarily, I want to remove any friction in deploying new tests.

This means two things:
1. The /opt/qa folder needs to be updated at the start of every run.
2. Install any dependencies before the test. Most likely not needed.

I'm open to other solutions that will reduce this friction without needing
manual intervention.

nigelb