[Gluster-infra] Updating /opt/qa and installing dependencies

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 14:45:24 UTC 2016

Le vendredi 15 juillet 2016 à 11:43 +0530, Nigel Babu a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm toying with the idea that each job will have commands to install
> dependencies and update the /opt/qa folder. This will make the whole process of
> adding a new node in the testing pool trivial requiring not a lot of effort
> from the infrastructure team.

I do think this will make things more complex.

Now, we have 1 ansible playbook to make a working jenkins builder [1],
and later, we would have a half playbook, half jenkins jobs.

We would still need to have stuff in ansible, because we need to
configure the VM before leting jenkins run (installing java, setting the
user and ssh keys, for a start, removing extra network card and ipv6 for
more complicated stuff).

What advantages would it bring to convert the existing work to jenkins
jobs that we do not already have ?

> However, if we break the /opt/qa repo, we'll spread the breakage everywhere.
> The fallback for errors would be to push a revert. Thoughts on this idea?

[1]
https://github.com/gluster/gluster.org_ansible_configuration/tree/master/roles/jenkins_builder