[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-devel] NetBSD regressions not being triggered for patches

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 15:53:38 UTC 2015

Le vendredi 12 juin 2015 à 12:02 +0200, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le jeudi 11 juin 2015 à 14:34 +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus a écrit :
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 04:04:44PM +0200, Niels de Vos wrote:
> > > Michael installed and configured dnsmasq on build.gluster.org yesterday.
> > > If that does not help today, we need other ideas...
> >
> > Just to confirm the problem:
> >
> > [manu at build ~]$ time nslookup nbslave7i.cloud.gluster.org
> > ;; connection timed out; trying next origin
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> >

> > real    0m20.013s
> > user    0m0.002s
> > sys     0m0.012s
> >
> > Having a local cache does not help because upstream DNS service is
> > weak. Without the local cache, individual processes crave for a reply,
> > and with the local server, the local server crave itself crave for
> > a reply.
> >
> > And here upstream DNS is really at fault: at mine I get a reply in
> > 0.29s.
> >
> > We need to configure a local authoritative secondary DNS for the zone,
> > so that the answer is always available locally wihtout having to rely
> > on outside's infrastructure.
>
> So, I am not sure I fully follow the issue.
>
> Here, the time nslookup is fast (for now).
> And the dnsmsq cache use google dns rather than iweb provided one.
>
> So when you say "upstream dns server is bad", which one do you mean
> exactly ?
>
> ( cloud.gluster.org is handled by rackspace, we could move to named
> managed locally, but then, this will not be self service anymore )

So, I suspect some device between build.gluster;org and the DNS, because
what I see is indeed that on a regular basis, jenkins dns resolution
fail without a obvious pattern.

IMHO, the long term solution is to move out of iweb, or to fix the
device/network.

Short term, I guess having a local dump of cloud.gluster.org would work;
This requires scripting I guess.

http://docs.rackspace.com/cdns/api/v1.0/cdns-getting-started/content/DNS_Overview.html